COBRA JET IS BACK
In honor of the famous Cobra Jet Ford has released the latest rendition 50 years later. The Cobra Jet is a tribute to the drag strip. It is a milestone for what Ford Performance is capable of. It’s hard not to love a turnkey race car from factory especially when it comes with a parachute, drag slicks, NHRA roll cage, and a 3.0 Whipple supercharged Coyote 5.2 motor. Limited to Only 68 non-VIN cars, if you haven’t submitted your order by now you probably missed your chance being the first owner.
Among other things, like a factory parachute and a roll cage, the new Cobra Jet also comes fixed with a unique livery and a hood only seen on the Cobra Jet. Weld racing wheels, Strange Engineering 9 inch solid rear axle, Racetech FIA seats and more!
8 second quarter miles at 150 MPH, Ford Performance Parts team have truly came together to develop such an amazing piece. “The project epitomizes the close teamwork between traditional and motorsports engineering groups to maximize the design, performance and durability of production Mustangs.” – Ford Performance
At $130,000 these babies are one of the best examples of Ford Performance division and have been for years. Now is the time to be a part of history and jump into 8 second quarter miles.
Mustang Cobra Jet timeline
1968 – Original FE 428-cubic-inch V8-powered Cobra Jet is created:
- Ford produces 50 lightweight Mustangs to hold the 335-horsepower engine; six are shipped to Holman Moody and Bill Stroppe to be prepared for NHRA competition
- Al Joniec pilots one of the six to Cobra Jet’s first victory
2008 – Rebirth of factory Mustang Cobra Jet, M-FR500-CJ, 40 years later:
- Powered by a supercharged 5.4-liter dual-overhead-cam V8, this drag racing renaissance was the first Stock Eliminator car to dip into the eight-second zone at an NHRA National Event
- Unlike the original, the 50 produced this time around do not feature VINs, so they are not street legal
- John Calvert drives a Cobra Jet featuring Joniec tribute paint scheme to victory at NHRA Winternationals on 41st anniversary of its original win
2009-16 – M-FR500-CJ:
- 250 additional cars are produced with dozens of domestic drag racing records, victories and championships achieved across NHRA, IHRA, NMCA and NMRA
- Drivers range from experienced veterans to young drag racing stars in the making
- Through half a century, Mustang Cobra Jet orders are still being placed at local Ford dealerships